At our dental office, we use LED lights to illuminate our worksites (your mouth). LED stands for “light emitting diode” and has a number of benefits for the dentist, the patient, and the environment. When we can see more, we can do more accurate work. Unique settings on these lights allow for more control over the materials we use as well. When making the decision to switch to LED lights in our dental office, we took the following into consideration:
- Focused Beam – Gone are the days of having to squint your eyes while you are sitting in the dental chair. 12 different bulbs focus the light exactly where the dentist wants it. The compact area allows for better illumination and visualization for the dentist, and is more comfortable for the patient’s eyes.
- Cool Operation – Most incandescent bulbs get hot quickly, release their extra heat into the environment, and can be dangerous to touch. LED lights, on the other hand, operate with minimal heat buildup, leading to increased comfort for both the patient and the dentist.
- Energy Efficiency–LED lightbulbs have revolutionized energy-efficient lighting. They require significantly less wattage than their incandescent counterparts. In fact, LED lights can reduce energy consumption by up to 70% compared to halogen lighting.
- Durability –LED lights do not have a filament, which makes them much more durable than incandescent bulbs. They are also more resistant to jarring, bumping, and banging than other lightbulbs. Because they are more durable, we can use them for longer, and therefore create less lightbulb waste.
- Lifespan — In addition to their durability, LED lights also have naturally longer lifespans. LED lights typically have about 30,000 hours, or about 12-15 years of functionality. Compare that to halogen bulbs that only last about a year or two.
- Cost Effective – By using less energy through LED bulbs, we can reduce our utilities bill, and we can pass those cost savings along to you—our patients!
- No Mercury – The manufacture of halogen lights uses mercury, whereas the manufacture of LED lights does not. By supporting the production of LED lights, we can help limit the amount of mercury waste in our environment!
We aim to provide our patients with the highest level of service and treatment. LED lights help us achieve that goal. If you have any questions about how LED lights help improve your experience with Dr. Brian Homann, or you just want to schedule an appointment, feel free to contact us today! Our phone number is 847.439.9440.